We may not have it all together but together we have it all

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Whatta Day :(

After a lovely morning of fighting with Bradley and getting Emily on the bus at noon, I had to take Ben for his check-up. Remember I said yesterday that he wasn't feeling good, so when the Dr. comes into the room she asked right away "how long has he been doing that?" Meaning, his breathing so hard and wheezing, so I said just yesterday afternoon it started. We start going over the 18 month evaluation form (more on that later) and she stops talking and says, " I need to listen to his lungs, I can't go on with him sounding like that." Needless to say she made me very nervous but it is OK. She listens and says that whatever he has, has gone to his lungs so he needs a breathing treatment, GREAT! The nurse comes in and leaves me with the machine and a sucker to try and get him to sit still so the stuff can blow in his face, yeah easier said than done. He is screaming and making me all sticky with his sucker while Elisabeth is in her car seat having a meltdown because she wants a shaky shaky. Finally after 5 minutes the treatment is done and the Dr comes back to listen again. He sounded better but not great so she sends me home with the machine to do treatments every 4-6 hours & steriods every 12 hours till Thursday when we go back again. I drop his prescription off, take them home and go back to get it. Well they tell me that my prescription card is expired!!! I said well we don't get new ones so I don't know what that means, he tried calling the place while trying to use Dave's SS# which thankfully worked otherwise it would have been $400 for his meds!!!!!!!!!! I still had to pay $52, but that is way better than $400. And the kicker of it is that I will only use 4 vials of the steroid and maybe 10 of other thing and have a total of 100 vials of meds that will go to waste???? Doesn't make sense right!

On with the 18 month evaluation. We all know he doesn't talk but aren't too concerned about it, so she said she will have his speech evaluated, fine whatever. However he lacks in Personal Social skills?!? The questions I had to answer were like this......

1) Does he try and give himself a toy while looking in the mirror at himself? Uh no because we do not have any mirrors that he can play in front of.

2) Does he bring you a toy he needs help with like a wind up toy? No that I can recall

3) Does he pick up a glass, drink from it and then put it down again with spilling very little? What are you kidding me, he is 18 months old, I do not give him a glass of water to drink from, only if it is in a sippy cup.

4) Does he copy what I am doing, i.e. wipe up a spill, shave, comb hair? Yes, my 18 month old is great at wiping up the water he has spilled while drinking from a cup/glass.

5) Does he get your attention by pulling your hand or clothes to help him with something? Nope again.

So I get home and take the mirror down to see if he plays with himself (LOL sounds so funny) and he does, he gave himself a kiss, a little smack and hit the mirror with his car. He also drank from a cup but got to much water in his mouth which he then let fall out of his mouth but did put the cup back down without spilling very little, do you think that counts? He also copied Emily while she was raking leaves in the front yard. The rake was upside down but he did the motion so that should count as well right? I did show him a toy that plays music and then turned it off but he didn't bring it back to me to help so who knows on that one. And he still hasn't pulled me by my hand for help, I'll keep a mental note on this one.

He did grow 2 inches & gain a pound. He is now 31 1/2 inches and 21 lbs!

I will keep you posted on his health! Good Night :)